From:
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 22:03:24 -0700
>From:    Serenity Ann Cromer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: shelters?
>Could anyone e-mail me of any shelters with adoptable ferrets in the
>Washington DC or Baltimore area?

You're right in the heart of it!

All About Bandit Shelter               Baltimore Ferret Club Shelter
Carol & Jim Scott                      Director: Nadine Sufczynski
Crownsville, MD (410) 923-2417         Baltimore, MD (410) 388-1996

Carroll County Ferret Rescue           Fur Thieves of the Heart
Director: Terry Fike                   Directors: Dave & Nelda Clark
Taneytown, MD (410) 751-1526           Ft. Meade, MD (410) 674-5053

Shadyside Ferrets & Rescue             Sanders Halfway House
Director: Ellen Byrne                  Director: Judith Sanders
Germantown, MD (301) 540-2756          Linthicum, MD (410) 850-0143

Just A Business of Ferrets Shelter     Misty Run Ferrets
Director: Vickie McKimmey              Director: Tanya Iacarusoe
Leesburg, VA (703) 777-2112            Cattlet, VA (703) 788-1240

Ferret Rescue of Tidewater
Director: Lisa Leidig
Virginia Beach, VA (804) 481-3954

The Ferrets of Pet Pals - Referral Service
Directors: Pam Grant
Springfield, VA 22151 Petpals [log in to unmask]

Halfway House For Woebegone Weasels
Directors: Bill & Diane Killian
Woodbridge, VA (703) 590-3473
((but we are currently empty))

Fran's "Forever Ferrets" Rescue
Director: Fran Wiles
Gettysburg, PA (717) 337-0045
((further away but I know she has ferrets))

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob C: Rantin' Man

Gosh... Did you think we were making fun of you?  Sorry.  We have more fun
making fun of ourselves....

>From:    Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: marshall farms adrenal nightmare
    AND
>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: To Sterling and MF....

These were written as if its a certainty that Marshall is evil and does
these horrid things.  We're still waiting on a credible source of
information about how bad it is.  The credible sources we've heard from say
its not great but far better than you'd expect.

We've never heard from a believable source evidence of ferrets being killed
at 30 months.  We have heard from a credible and knowing source that pointed
to an older age which actually is in line with when hobby breeders tend to
retire their breeders - after three breeding years.  Unfortunately MF is a
business.  There is little money in breeding ferrets - hence their branching
out to other products.  They almost have no choice.  Doesn't mean we like it
anymore than anyone else.

And that early alter bit is advocated as a way to reduce the cat and dog
overpopulation problem.  We agree that its possible and plausible that the
early altering does lead to problems but its not proven.  But it is also the
reason ferrets are not in the same situation that cats and dogs are in.  We
need to see both sides of this issue.  We would prefer that the age slip
back to where it was a few years ago (or later).

Some of the evils blamed in the past on Marshall are with new evidence being
linked to environmental problems in the owners homes not at Marshalls.
Viral causes of cancers and the like.

If one truly does not like Marshall Farms than one ought to be promoting the
alternative of hobby breeders.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/