From:
Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 1994 15:37:35 -0400
We'll be going on vacation from Aug 19 to Sept 10.  Driving down thru
Quebec, Maine (possibly Vermont and New Hampshire), Bar
Harbour->Yarmouth Nova Scotia by ferry, Cape Breton, PEI, New Brunswick
and back thru Quebec (hopefully getting in some significant whale
watching - Gregory wants to see whales, and supposedly all north atlantic
blue whales are there now feeding somewhere around the mouth of the
Saguenay River ;-).

I will be leaving the FML running unattended as usual.

I will also be making the transmission of anon-postings automatic.
The software I have for processing anon postings before appending to
the FML issues has been doing a very good job of removing all
identification from the headers.  The only thing it doesn't do, is
attempt to strip signatures.  So I've been checking them before
doing the append.  However, it's been at least 6 months since I've
had to strip a signature, so it looks as if it's safe to go unattended
for a couple weeks.

Secondly, particularly to you, Bill, is that I'm thinking of switching
to automated LISTSERV subscribership maintenance.  That is, requests
sent to [log in to unmask] will get forwarded to
the listserv for automatic operation, relying on its parsing and
"help by email" to keep things operational.

And finally, perhaps most importantly, we're well into the run-up for
issue 1000.  I've been reflecting for some time on that, how long the
FML has been in operation (since Dec 1987), our current ferret-less
condition, Gregory, and our own current interests, workload and time
commitments...

Therefore,

I have decided that I (and ferret.ocunix.on.ca) will operate the FML up
to issue 1000 (probably about mid November) and then step down as
"moderator" - not that I moderate that much...  What happens to the FML
after that I don't know.   We have several options:

    1) The FML is entirely transferred to the CUNY LISTSERV, probably
       with Bill Gruber (or some other long-connected person willing to
       make the commitment) as "owner".  Whether it's "moderated" or
       not is entirely up to the new "owner".  In actual fact, there
       would be relatively little change to the FML, other than the
       fact that you'd send directly to CUNY instead of
       ferret.ocunix.on.ca, and the FML can be "subscribed" as
       individual messages or digests depending on the subscriber's
       preference.

       Indeed, if we switch the vacation-period subscription handling
       to the automated LISTSERV, almost nothing changes except for
       the format of digests and where you send your FML stuff.

    2) The FML shuts down in favour of a moderated or unmoderated USENET
       newsgroup called "rec.pets.ferrets".  (one of these days I'll
       tally my poll on them.  Honest.  It wasn't particularly compelling
       either way, but perhaps the immediacy of issue 1000 will change
       things).

       I will start the USENET voting process going if that is what
       is desired.

    3) Some mailing-list-savvy person takes the FML on in some other
       fashion.

    4) Some combination of the above.

We've really enjoyed running the FML over the years.  We've made lots
of friends, like Sukie (who's been with this thing from the beginning),
Nancy, Bill, Katie and learned lots ourselves.  I would never have
dreamed of how things would go nor how long it would last back when I
started the FML.  I will assist in setting up whatever continues
beyond issue 1000, and subscribe to it too - so we won't be gone
completely.  But it is time for us to conserve our energies and move
to other ventures.

As far as the mechanics of what is going to happen goes, I throw the
floor open to suggestions and proposals.  If anyone is considering
running the FML themselves, you should realize that it is a significant
commitment of time, and may require some significant technical knowledge
and email hackery to accomplish.  If you're *still* thinking of it ;-)
say so quickly so that the FML can plan its future soon.  If we
wish to go for a newsgroup, we'll have to be into RFD before the
end of September to ensure meeting a mid-November cutover date.

Regards,

Chris & Patricia & Gregory (ferret & whale watcher extraordinaire)