From:
"Montgomery, Vicki E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:19:46 -0600
Hi all;

I got a call yesterday from one of my volunteers and I can't think of
anything more to suggest.  I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what may
be going on here.

She is fostering a total of 7 ferrets, has several pit bull dogs who
ignore the ferrets, and she runs a day care from her home.  Here home
is peaceful (well as much as possible with the human toddlers) - the
four-leggers are under control.

She previously had 12 ferrets.

She has never before had a problem with odor, but in the last month she
says the odor has increased to an unacceptable and noticable level.  One
or some of her daycare parents have made comments.  This has been going
on for about a month..

About 2 months ago she took in one middle-aged Marshall female..  all
other ferrets are Marshall's as well, all ferrets are altered and as they
are Marshall's should be de-scented.  Individually, when she sniffs each
ferret he/she does smell like a ferret, but nothing intense or
extraordinary.

About a month ago the ferret musk smell (Not feces or urine) increased
to a level that she has not been able to control.  She bathes about once
every 6 weeks.  Washes bedding about once every 2 weeks.  Litter boxes
are totally cleaned before 7AM everyday.

She took all cages to the car wash to do a very thorough cleaning...
just in case something was being missed with regular cleaning.  She uses
clay litter and always has (for those who like to blow up... do not waste
my time with flames - simmer in your own stew please), they scrubbed all
walls and floors, they changed food from Zupreme to 8n1 about a month
ago, the ferrets all get along, no one is being frightened, no one is
sick or becoming sick as far as she can tell.  NO runny noses or
diarrhea.  No ECE.  She's been watching poops diligently.  She is animal
savvy and was a licensed wildlife rehabilitator several years ago.

I told her to change back to the Zupreme and see if the food may be
reacting oddly with someone's body chemistry, watch everyone for any
signs of illness or lethargy, check for Cryptorchidism (retained
testicle), watch for aggression, don't bathe the ferrets but increase
bedding washing to weekly or daily, and after 2 or 3 weeks if there is
no improvement, remove the girl that came in about a month ago when the
intense odor began and see if it dissipates or moves with her.

Can anyone think of what else to check?  I'm out of ideas..  Please reply
to [log in to unmask]

Vicki