From:
Stacia Debaun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:10:55 EST
>One thing I learned from this rescue, is that anything can happen,
>anytime.  Shelters, please take the time to put name plates on your cages
>with 3x5 cards that have the ferrets name and a brief description listed.
>I spent the last few weeks putting photos of each ferret in their folders-
>and we've ordered cage name plates to further identify these guys.  God
>forbid, if anything were to suddenly happen to me and/or my husband,
>someone would have to come in and figure out WHO all these ferrets are.
>Their ages, illnesses, diet, etc.  Folders don't help much when the only
>description is "sable MF male".  Try matching the folder with the ferret!

I don't mean to jump in on such a sad note here, but I too feel it is very
important to be able to have anyone, at any time, come in and be able to
identify each of my pets.  For that reason, I've been microchipping them
all using the AVID system, and keep full records of medical
problems/history both here at home and in the vets' office.

I know some are against the practice of microchipping, but for me, it
offers as close to 100% safety/security as possible.  Not only are they
readily identifiable should something happen to me and my spouse, but there
is also a better chance of them being returned to us should they get lost.
Cage cards are great, but can be misplaced, and they don't help identify
the ferret if they are found outside of the cage (or home).  Pictures
don't always do complete justice either.  Microchipping is relatively
cheap, relatively painless/easy, and is as close as you can get to
assuring a positive ID of your ferret(s) (and other pets) under almost
any circumstances, should the need arise.

Just my opinion,
Stacia