From:
Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:52:36 -0500
>TO: The Artificial Light Group
>Your use of artificial lights to stimulate hair growth is interesting

It is most definitely NOT anything new, simply a replacement for what
domestication has deprived our friends of.  Natural light, food more like
natural prey, and proper excersise.

The preliminary observations are widely misinterpreted as reported results.

Conclusions not stated and not proven are erroneously propogated.

The observations are not those of vets or qualified researchers, but of lay
persons, albeit well trained and experienced.  ( Well, actually a few have
been followed by a vet, but its not usually possible)

See the Dayna's Kids web page for exact details.

Treatment:

1. Wide spectrum lights on timers varied to match the season. CLOSE to cage.
2, Excercise, interaction and play, 3hrs / day minimum.
3. Diet of Totally Ferret and woozle goo.... loaded with vits. (Helluva list)
4. Some medication.

No claim has ever been made that ANYTHING was cured, just that the symptoms
were reversed, the visible well being and general condition of the ferrets
dramatically improve.  In fact, none of us can claim a cure, because we can
only observe symptoms in the first place, we cannot even prove that adrenal
tumors exist.  (We know the odds, given the symptoms, and they're pretty
high, but odds ain't proof)

Any volunteer vets ???

The treated ferrets MAY live longer... We don't know yet, because none being
followed have died.  Some have exceeded their predicted lifetimes
significantly, and in doing so have been healthy, active, and apparently
comfortable.  This alone has made the program worthwhile.

I must confirm it, but I don't think any return of symptoms or hair loss
occurred this summer during the long light cycle... but let me be sure.

Once again, may I please.... If you can afford proper veterinary care for
your sick woozles, DO NOT SUBSTITUTE lights for vet care.  Do not deprive
any ferret of the care it deserves.  No ferret observed in this study has
ANY CHANCE of any other treatment.

>>The use of artificial lights .... 3) when the owner can not afford surgery

EXACTLY !!  The ferrets studied have been shelter animals, abandoned, lost,
unwanted, and otherwise doomed, with no hope whatever of surgery..  (In
California the greedy scum pretending to be vets will charge you $1200 for
adrenal surgery) The fact that a ferret is a shelter animal does not reduce
this burden one penny most places.

So, to sum it up... If you're flat broke, your ferret is going to suffer and
die, and there's NOTHING you can do about it.... and there's nothing to
lose, then turn on the lights, and give the little guys a healthier, more
active, and happier final few years.

Occasionally, a volunteer vet will contribute some time to observe the
results.  Needless to say, REAL participation by qualified persons is
needed.

>Thank you
>Jerry Murray, DVM
>Animal Clinic of Farmers Branch
>Farmers Branch,  Tx.

And Thank you, Jerry.  And thanks to every vet here who will take a few
minutes to share with us on behalf of the fuzzies.

Bob Martin