From:
Kaye FitzGerald-Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:23:32 +0000
>I have read Bob Church's Diet series in the archive with great interest.
>To those who have converted to a more natural diet: what has worked for
>you?  Did you have any older ferrets that started eating more exotic things
>like chicken bones or mice?  Any and all advice is most appreciated.

Hi George,

Just wanted to tell you that although I normally feed my ferrets on raw
chicken wings/ minced chicken carcasses/ raw whole rabbit carcasses and
some kibble as a stand by in the dish, my neighbour has recently been
donating mice.  She's had some field mice move into her house with the
colder weather and has been trapping them and bringing them round to
me..............when I offered the first one to the ferrets ( so fresh it
still had the lump of cheese in its mouth!) they nearly snapped my hand off
to get at it.  It's the only time I've ever seen them fight over food......
nothing was wasted and I've had to tell my neighbour to catch them in pairs
in future!  :-)

I'm seriously thinking about investing in a supply of frozen mice for them,
but don't know it the "wild" ones might be tastier for them.  Maybe I
should start laying traps outside for them, or bribe the cat to bring some

Cheers,

K.