From:
Kaye FitzGerald-Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 00:51:30 +0000
>Kayes response to Shelly, my response to Kaye - Not to be out of line or
>hurt feelings, but , Kaye you would have no friends in California for that
>statement.  You have offended me and all of Californians who have to
>smuggle our ferrets in or any other pet that California DFG calls wild...
>In the US there is rabies and distemper and other diseases prevalent.  I
>do not think a responsible pet owner would knowingly bring into California
>any beloved pet with such diseases.

Dear OutlawDook,

I think you have misunderstood what I meant.  I feel very sympathetic
towards people in places like California who do have to smuggle their
ferrets( or other *wild* animals) around........it is a ridiculous law and
the sooner it is changed the better.  I wouls like to assume that because
you know the risks you are taking, you are responsible folk who would make
sure their pets vaccs are up to date etc. and would not try to smuggle a
diseased animal anywhere.  It's a different kettle of fish over here,
honest!  We are a very small and tightly packed island and just one rabid
ferret smuggled in would not only cause a problem with a rabies health
scare, but it would also cause nationwide panic and you would find animals
being needlessly put down * just in case*.....remember Kodo?  Imagine that
times a thousand.........it would happen.  We had the dangerous Dogs Act
a few years ago and people in the street would report others whose dogs
looked vaguely pit bull-ish.  A lot of dogs were killed for nothing,
because people were scared of them..............ask most non-ferret people
about ferrets and what's the one question they ask?  "Do they bite?".......
people have the mental image of ferrets being ferocious ( like mink) and if
they heard one had been smuggled in and wad proven to be rabid, it would be
the death knell for thousands of innocent ferrets........and maybe other
animals kept with them.  I, personally, could lose all 3 of my dogs, both
my ferrets and my cat if that happened.....coz of the danger of close
contact.  My kids and hubby and I would all have to put under observation
too.........all because of one selfish act.

I think if you had a responsible attitude towards your animals ( I mean
*one *, not *you* ), you would not be tempted to smuggle them in anyway....
they stand the chance of being destroyed or quarantined if found, after
all.  Nope, you've not convinced me.........at the risk of losing any
friends I might have had in Ca., I still reckon those particular ferrets
should be left in peace where they are and not transported to Brazil and
smuggled back in.

K.