From:
Kevin Silvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:04:44 -0400
I have been thinking some time about the rabies situation and our fuzzies.
It is clear that no matter where we live our fuzzies are at risk!

THE RABIES SCARE has been going on for many years.  I can remember as a
child 40+ years ago.  We were all warned about staying away from dogs as.
"THey may have rabies." We were told about the 21 shots we would have to
take in our stomach.  I can remember seeing on TV, on MABRY RFD, the Sherrif
(Andy) killing a dog that was foaming at the mouth.  I believe a similar
thing was shown on Gun Smoke.  We are a society that has been conditioned to
fear this word rabies.

Now the facts are, in 1996 there were two humans in the US that contracted
rabies.  Both were rat borne strains.  7,000 animals, most of which were
wild animals tested positive for rabies.  This is from an article in the
Lakeside Ledger August 1, 1997.  The article goes on to say that a Cherokee
County Georgia man may be the first confirmed case of rabies in 1997.  The
article written probably from CDC information was to calm the public that
there was not a RABIES epidemic in Cherokee County.

On August 25 post here there was a list of ferret confirmed with rabies for
the last 25 years.  The author did not cite where they came from.  What I
need is some concrete information and help from all of you!  We need to put
together a credable report based on CDC, and other data on ferrets and
rabies.  We can then use this scientific report to start to change the
attitudes and laws on Ferrets.  I have a promise from a local vet that is I
can give him such a document, he will see that it gets reviewed by the State
of Georgia's top vet, they went to school together.  Folks, I am but a
humble printer, I can print the words, bind them to make them look
professional, but I need the words, with footnotes and all such stuff.  I
know we have a lot of Vet Students and Vets, Breeders, on the FML, let's do
it!  This would be a very worth while class project for an individual or
class to do in vet school.

Shedding studies seem to be a question!  My personal feelings right or wrong
are that MF created the Domestic ferret market, they should be bearing the
costs of completing these studies.  They should also be sharing with us
there figures on the numbers of ferrets that they ship yearly to the
domestic market.  I personally do not buy the argument that it would hurt
them.  If we can not get the figures that way, do they hve to report these
numbers to any government organization.  If the answer is YES, lets get the
numbers through the freedom of information act.  They are critical to any
report!

PET STORES
Next on my list is pet stores, I have been reading with great interest about
others problems.  Thet mirror my own experiences.  Last Saturday we went to
the pet store in Town Center Mall to see the fuzzies.  They had 4 cinommin
(SP?) MF that were 9 wks old.  Handwritten sign on to pick up as they would
bits.  Yes I picked up three, one for me, my wife and one for Leslie (the
worlds best ferret tamer).  I then spied the food bowl was EMPTY.  I reached
over and handed it to an employee, and TOLD him they needed food.  I did not
leave the store until it was full.  They were in chips, had a litter box, a
toy but, no place to sleep except on the chips.

What we FMLers need is a short one page list of the care and conditions for
pet stores to keep ferrets in.  Again, if I had such a list I would give it
to them, the Humane Socities and get it to the top Vet in Georgia.  Then,
proceed to get a sponsor to legislate it in the State House and Senate in
Georgia.

Think about what I said, and remember in Michigan they murder a ferret every
other day.

Harry C. Silvis
and the six pack of fuzzies in Kennesaw, Georgia

Remember Kudo and the no name ferrets of MF
Caroline - We all miss you, and hope you are having fun at the Rainbow
Bridge.  See you when I get there.