Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 15:52:26 EST
I just wanted to thank everyone on the FML and adrenal list for advice about
Azrael.  Dr. Weiss and I talked on Thursday, and I took Azrael in for his
last visit Saturday morning.  He was so weak that the anesthesia itself took
him most of the way.  This was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but
Azrael had lost the spark in his eyes that made him a ferret.  I miss the
friend I once had, but the little one I held in my arms Saturday morning was
not Azrael, just his shell.  I think everyone who has lost one to a slow
disease knows exactly what I'm saying.  I always believed that I would do
everything in my power to give Azrael a good life; ironically, I believe
that letting him go before I was ready was the best thing I did all along.

George and I are now settling in by ourselves.  George doesn't miss Azrael,
they were sworn enemies and lived separated at all times, but he knows he's
gone and has cautiously sniffed every one of the beds before climbing in.
Azrael gave him a good nip on the backside Friday night (his last hurrah) to
kick him out of a bed, but didn't even give chase.  I knew then for sure
that he was wearing out.  I wish you all the best of luck with your furry
families.  I don't read every line of the mailing lists anymore, just not
enough time or heart, so you can send any posts to me directly.

Now that I've lost one to adrenal disease, I am ready to give some
statistics to the various surveys.  Please send me this information.  I also
have some things from Azrael's history as he compares with other ferrets
I've seen that may have some clues as to why his disease was so serious and
not slowed by surgery or medication.  I would like to compare notes with
others who have lost ferrets to adrenal disease.

Thank you,
Lori
Lorali J Barber
Production Editor
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
9650 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20814-3998
301-530-7038
Fax 301-571-8303