Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:52:46 EST
I posted quite a long time ago about what the vet and I think are adrenal,
insulinomic, or allergy related problems, and I'm still looking for input.

History: Azrael (male, MF, 5 y, on Totally Ferret for 3.5 y) lost some hair
on his face in April 1996.  Thought this was a hot spot from his food dish.
Changed to ceramic.  No improvement and lost about 1 square inch of hair
more over the next year.  Had an operation early summer 1997 after showing
additional hair loss across body.  No abnormal adrenal tissue found, but
pancreatic tumors and hairballs in stomach removed.  Recovered well from
surgery, but hair loss continued.  Surgery again in fall.  Left adrenal
showed abnormal tissue and was removed.  Did not recover as quickly from
this surgery.  Hair loss has continued and I'm leary about another surgery
because of previous slow recovery.  Began treatment with Lysodren and
prednisone in November.  Hair loss continued.  He now has only a patch of
hair on his head remaining, some over his shoulders and front legs and some
on his tail.  Very dry irritated skin.  Does not play, but prefers to stay
warm in his blankets.  He does have energy and checks out the apartment a
couple times a day.  Eats and eliminates well, but his urine is extremely
odorous.  His toe nails are brittle and dark yellow and some have broken to
the quick with little provocation.  They clot and heal well.  He seems to
have lost strength in some of his muscles.  When standing still at his dish,
his middle section drops instead of maintaining the hump.  Where the hump
should be is where his skin is driest.  Could be uncomfortable maintaining
the hump.  Shows no signs of insulinomia.  Has regrown just a few hairs on
the tip of his tail.  I have finally found a different food he will eat that
has no chicken or beef and am now trying elimination diets to test for the
food allergy.

Azrael is uncomfortable, but he still has the spark of life in him.  I don't
want him to go on like this, but Dr. Weiss and I definitely feel he is not a
candidate for being put down.  He's not getting any better, but he's not
getting any worse either.

Anyone with any experience with ferrets who have exhibited adrenal symptoms
and did not respond to surgery and Lysodren or with suspected food
allergies, please write me with any feedback.

Thanks,
Lori

Lorali J Barber
Production Editor
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
9650 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20814-3998
301-530-7038
Fax 301-571-8303