From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 15:51:18 -0400
Rudy spaketh:

> Ours were doing pretty well, and then, 2 older ones had a relapse last
> weekend.  They had to be kept at the vet's for fluid injections (90 cc) on
> alternate days.   We are now 2 1/2 weeks from onset and these two are still
> in tough shape and not eager to eat.  Melissa, you may also be in for a long
> haul with Potpie.  (Did you deny at first?)

nope, didnt deny at all. she'd had diarrhea for a day, nice and green and
slimy, and i'd come into contact with a new ferret a day and a half
before. perfectly classic, obvious symptoms. started giving her lots of
fluids/electrolytes and finally took her in for sub-q fluids when she
still ended up dehydrated (and utterly bony from not eating). she has
normal-ish stools for a day and then goes back to icky green ones; it's
been almost two weeks already. *sigh* fluid injections helped a LOT. so
does the reglan/prednisone combo injection my vet is having me give her
now - she's finally eating consistently on her own (consistently == two
days). she's still a very angry ferret, but after the reprieve given by
taking her to the vet, im definitely in a better mood...youre right,
rudy, there's nothing quite as disheartening as watching their weight
continue to drop despite everything you can do for them at home. it was
depressing enough to have an angry, weakening, frail ferret that i
couldnt help at home that i took her in well before the next appointment
i'd scheduled.  A note for Debbie: potpie *hated hated hated* the
Pedialyte, any flavor, but Dr. Daldin gave me a bottle of 'pet
electrolyte' which has no odor and is bright red that potpie thinks is
the greatest thing since raisins. Rudy, email me?

Potpie's still angry, but im glad she's around to be angry. :)

Melissa, Potpie (grr) and Noodle (babe-magnet) and Friday (in absentia)

    Melissa Litwicki                                    [log in to unmask]
    Radio Controlled Operation In Vivid Six Ways Of Movement With Reality!