From:
ERIKA MATULICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 12:35:49 -0600
Last week, I was invited to a 4th grade class in Ft.  Worth, TX to talk
about ferrets.  I brought along Misty, Sasha, and Lizzie to a class of 18
students.  The students had very good questions, and we talked at length
about the differences between domestic ferrets and wild BFFs, what they ate,
how they behaved, and so on.  The class asked questions for over an hour,
and several revised their initial opinions that ferrets were "stinky, wild
rat-looking animals." Lizzie let the students look at length at her teeth,
so the class could see that they were "cat-like" rather than "rat-like." We
talked about care and feeding, and legal status.  Then all three ferrets
were passed around the class, and graciously tolerated being petted, held,
hugged, folded in half, etc.  (These are known kid-proof ferrets).  In all
it was a very positive educational experience.  The class had fun, the
ferrets were exhausted, and I wish we all had more opportunities like this
one to spread the word about ferrets.

Erika
Sasha (why couldn't I steal all those pencil erasers?)
Lizzie (If I have to smile one more time to show off my pearly whites...)
Misty (can I PLEASE go to the bathroom?)