From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:34:27 -0800
Sukie's post on the warning about Vaporub was interesting and
informative. I remember hearing about a zoo who would rub it on the
nose of meerkats to help them accept a new meerkat into the group. I
often wondered if it would work for ferrets, as I suspect that smell is
THE reason new ferrets get picked on by old ones. I had a ferret who
belonged to a group with a strict alpha female sneak away and sleep
with the rescues for a day. When I put him back with his group, the
alpha tore into him. I took other ferrets from the alpha group and
rubbed their smelly areas (yes, even the butt ;) ) on him. She then
accepted him, though a bit warily.

I have never tried it and would not ever use vaporub on a ferret, just
because it seems so irritant. I believe I remember asking (and if it
was on this list, I apologize for bringing it up twice) if anyone else
had ever heard of it being used in such a manner. However as there are
many other ways of getting new ferrets and old to get along, I doubt
anyone has had to resort to this type of thing. Even so, meerkats are
not ferrets, and zoos are not always doing what is healthy or best for
their animals.

Laryssa