From:
"Williams, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:49:31 -0500
To Sheila:

>On of my jills had another 'episode' (stroke?) on Friday morning.  I found
>her lying on the bottom of the cage which she shares with her two brothers.
>(They are approx 5 y.o.)
>
>One of her brothers walked over her and she screamed.  Immediate thought
>from me was that she had a spinal injury because she didn't appear to have
>any control over her back legs and was just scrabbling around using her
>front feet.  I thought that Dax had had an 'episode' and fallen down the
>ramp hurting her back.
>
>To sum up, rear end weakness and nervous reaction to sudden movement.
>She's eating and drinking OK.  When Spooky became ill she was tested for
>CDV, ADV all the results came back negative.  All my ferrets have been
>vaccinated against CDV.

Hmm...first things first.  5 year old ferret having "episodes" with
complete recumbency and neurologic signs.  Vocalization on stimulation,
feret responds to steroids and eight hours later, she is standing again...

What did the bloodwork show, especially the blood glucose?

Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP
Chairman, AFIP Dept. of Telemedicine
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
Washington, DC 20306-6000