From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 06:53:04 EST
Darlene, the best advice I can offer is that if you suspect a problem,
go see a vet knowledgeable in ferret care.  I would like to make an
observation though, and this is NOT meant as a flame towards you at all.
You adopted (thank you!!) two ferrets that had arrived in a shelter the
day before you brought them home.  I take issue with the shelter operator
at this.  All incoming shelter ferrets should pass a minimum seven to ten
day quarantine, during which time they are tested for ADV and vaccinated
if records haven't arrived with them, and observed for signs of illness.
After clearing quarantine the shelter needs to see how they are socially
with humans and other ferrets.  Only after they have a handle on the health
and personality of the ferret should they be adopted out.  Personally, I
think that any shelter who does not follow this type of protocol is just
darned foolish!

Anne