From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:34:02 -0400
Whoa, okay?  First off, "weasel" is NOT a technical term so it can be used
or misused as one likes, but it IS incorrect to refer to any FORMAL
taxonomic category as being "the weasel family" or "weasel-like family",
though those can be used as illustrations.

For those who need the primer:
Keep Picking Cucumbers Or Father Gets Sore --
Kingdom (Animalia, Planta...);
Phylum (such as Protozoa, Chordata, Mullusca, etc.);
Class (Mammalia for both us and ferrets);
Order (Carnivora for ferrets, Primates for us);
Family (Mustelidae for ferrets, Hominidea for us, though we share a
  between-classication with apes: Anthropodea and some experts wonder for
  excellent reasons if Hominidea isn't too much of a splitter attitude);
Genus (ferrets are in Mustela just as weasels are but with separate
  species, while we are in Homo);
species (Hey, something we share with domestic ferrets is that both
  grouping have some debates on species naming right now.).

Notice that tigers are in Felidea -- a different family within Carnivora
from Mustelidea and that the split goes back a decent way and is without
debate, but that there is debate about the Hominidea/Pongidea split, plus
humans of various ilks have been around for only a few millions of years --
not long at all.  Note that there can also be numerous super- and sub-
classifications so that nestled around Mammalia are the names Vertebrata
(between Chordata and Mammalia), and what-ever-the-heck the formal one is
for the placental mammals since I forget that, being very rusty.  Also note
that it is correct to capitalize the genus name but to not capitalize the
species name in mammology -- this is NOT necessarily the same in some of
the other specializations such a botany.  You can also refer to our
extremely close (taxonomically, morphologically, and genetically) cousins
the bonobos as P. paniscus or as Pan paniscus, but NEVER as Pan p.  It is
ESSENTIAL that people realize that groupings are NOT written in stone, and
that it has often been recognized that the closer something is to US the
more likely we are to notice differences so that there may be things lumped
into the same categories in Mullusca which would never be lumped together
in Chordata; some things lumped together in Chondrichthyes would be
considered miles apart if they were in Mammalia; within Mammalia we are
more liklely to see differences between humans and other apes.  Heck,
you've see people who make a big deal of separations as small as race --
that's taking splitting to the most extreme level.  (Yeah, I'm a lumper and
folks who don't like it can lump it.)  Okay, I may be rusty as all get-out
but I was the student curator for the comparative mammalian
osteology/dentition/fossil collection of the Anatomy Dept. of SUNY SB
for over 4 years so this isn't unknown stuff for me.  Confused yet?