From:
Lawrence Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:27:12 -0500
We use vinyl cut to the inside dimensions of the cage floor.  It works
really well for us.  I can vacuum and/or spray it then wipe it off.  I
also get the carpet sample "squares" and put those on top for cushioning.
Sometimes I get them for free and sometimes I pay a $1.00 each.  I vacuum
them to keep them clean and when they get beyond cleaning, I throw them
out.

I also use athletic shoe boxes.  I tape the lid onto it then cut a hole in
one of the lower corners or on the end.  I also punch some "air holes"
around the sides just to be safe.  I put a baby receiving blanket inside
and they LOVE it.  I even have a "2-story" one.  They climb up to get in
the top one.  I stacked two together and taped around both boxes.  One has
a hole on the end and the other opening is on the side.  I also include
towels and blankets on the floor of their cage for when they want to sleep
outside.  And of course they have blankets in their hammocks.  Our cage is
a three floored model by Peter Koch.  The top level has a sleep box, extra
blankets, food bowl and a water bottle.  The middle floor has the 2-story
sleep box, extra blankets and a water bottle.  The bottom floor is FULL of
litter boxes!  Not much room for accidents.  There is a small cat box, a
corner box, one that has a low front and a plastic shoe box size storage
box.  There is a bit of room for them to get off the ramp and out the door.
The rest is potty city.

We have a water bowl on the living room/ferret room floor.  They seem
to like it better than the H20 bottles.  One of our guys, (Harvey) is a
"snorkeler".  Sometimes I drop raisins in and watch him submerge his head.
Too funny!  I think I'll try the pool thing.  I bet he would really enjoy
it!

I enjoyed the post about following a bewildered person out into the parking
lot.  I've done that too!  :0)

Hugs to all,

Tequita and Larry Williamson
Ferret Haven
The Piedmont Ferret Association

"The Miracle Of Life Is Found In All Creation"