From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:19:43 -0400
Hi

>I just can't resist joining in- I love reading how folks chose their
>ferrets' names!

My very first, and dearest ferret was named Paleface.  He was a marvelous
little fellow who came to me with what I then thought was a very unusual
light color (now I know he was just a regular old silver mitt) and a great
big playful spirit.  I wanted his name to reflect his color, and I wanted
it to express his "ferocity." My best friend from high school and I were on
the phone, and I told her that I needed a name for my new little man.  Out
of the blue, she came up with Paleface, and I thought that it fit.  Of
course, over the years, he acquired quite a few nicknames- Pookie, Little
Man, Firetruck (for the way his back end seemed to be steered differently
than his front end), and my favorite- Bean.  I was so very sad when Bean
passed on last summer at the ripe old age of (almost) eight years.

My next two boys were adopted together- in fact they were littermates.  The
little sable boy had already acquired a "kit-name" from the breeder (Hi,
Meg!).  She dubbed him Spikey because the hair on his head stood up in a
darling little mohawk.  Spikey was already a very special little boy.  His
mama became very sick with mastitis while nursing him.  She had rush
surgery to remove the infected nipple, and it happened to be Spikey's
nipple.  Spikey developed an eye infection on top of it all (not uncommon
in conjunction with mastitis).  So, poor little Spikey had to be nursed and
coddled quite a bit through his early youth.  I'm not sure if that's the
cause, but Spikey is a bit of a Mama's boy.  He is a gentle, somewhat timid
soul.  I gave him his "proper" name as a reflection of his personality.
Y'all remember Daniel Striped Tiger from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood?  Well,
my boy is Daniel Spikey Tiger. : )

Spikey's brother is a whole different situation.  Despite the fact that
they were littermates, the two do not share many personality
characteristics!  From the get-go, Spikey's brother was a little
adventurer.  Sitting on the living room floor at the breeder's house, I
held Spikey as he cuddled up to me.  His brother, on the other hand, was
tearing about the room, exploring every last nook and cranny.  I knew that
he would need a name to reflect his fearless spirit.  Meg and I joked about
how this little guy was going a-viking, so I thought a Scandanavian name
would suit him.  Gunnar popped into my head, and given his red eyes (he's
an albino), Gunnar the Red just fit.  Of course, once I got him home, I
found out that he HONKED incessantly.  Yes, I mean HONKED!  As a result,
Gunnar acquired the nickname Goose.

Beau's story is somewhat shorter, since I didn't name him.  When we adopted
the boyz, we fell in love with their sire, Beau Geste.  Several months
later, Meg offered him to me, and I eagerly adopted him.  Beau, aka Boseph
or Lurky, is a real character.  He is one weird ferret, but we love him.  :)

Last (and least in size if not in spirit) is my new little girl.  In
January, I fell in love with a beautiful, tiny albino girl at the PFRA
Westmoreland County shelter.  This little lady was found in someone's back
yard.  She had taken up residence in a rabbit warren on the property!

Chris and Tara, the shelter directors, named her Athena for her beauty and
strength.  My SO and I had other plans for her.  Such a pretty little girl
needed more than one name, so we dubbed her Maybelle after Maybelle Carter,
one of our favorite old-time musicians.  Of course, little Miss May as I
call her needed a proper title, so she is officially "Rabbit Hole's Athena
Maybelle."

If you'd like to see pictures of my little family, stop by
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/1122/meetme.html

Happy Ferreting!
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
Visit the Sage Ferrets web site
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/1122

Sometimes I think I would like to be named the 'Prince of Weasels.' As the
Prince of Weasels, I would sneak up behind people and bite them.  Then they
would turn around and say, "What the... Oh, it's just you, the Prince of
Weasels." ...Jack Handey