[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 21 Dec 1987 19:14:00 -0500687_- Sorry to take so long, but job changes and other such stuff made it
rather difficult to find the time to get this rolling. Now things have
stabilized, I'm finally able to do something with it.

List of Charter Members of the Ferret Mailing List:

evans@mhuxt (Steve & Sukie Crandall)
[log in to unmask] (Tom Danisavich)
[log in to unmask] (Susan A. Musil)
tjs@tropix (Timothy J. Spires)
davis@utx1 (Gary A. Davis)
alan@sequent (Alan Gardiner)
[log in to unmask] (Leonard Bottleman)
[log in to unmask] (Shu-Ju Wang-Burgess)
[log in to unmask] (Janet L. Crow)
mnetor!uunet!vsedev!FMPMIS!scott (? - mail was mostly garbled) [...]44_21Dec198719:14:[log in to unmask] 8712 26 33 12_Adminstrivia14_Chris R. [log in to unmask], 21 Dec 1987 19:14:00 -0500616_- I'm going to run this quite informally for the time being.

For the time being, please mail any contributions to:

ferret-list@spectrix

I've included some useful paths in the trailer to this article.

I will manually forward them back out. I will make some changes to
automate this in the future, but not quite yet. Part of the reason
why this isn't being automated now is the fact that of necessity one
of the recipients has to be anonymous. Sounds wierd ... Unfortunately,
this person has their ferret in a state where ferrets are (still)
illegal and has asked me to [...]44_21Dec198719:14:[log in to unmask] 8712 60 21 26_New Moderator Introduction14_Chris R. [log in to unmask], 21 Dec 1987 19:14:00 -0500495_- We have three ferrets:
1) Nicia - very small (overweight) sable femal, at least 2 years old.
Indirectly from the pound. A real fighter (surviving several
medical crises), and a real sweetheart.
2) Mocha - normal size (1 3/4 lb) sable female, obtained as a baby
about 1 1/2 years ago. A sock eater (with feet inside).
Have tried many thigns, simply can't stop her.
3) Toby - 3 lb. silver-mitt male, obtained as a baby. 9 mos. old.
Big, stupid, and friendly lummox. [...]44_21Dec198719:14:[log in to unmask] 8712 82 29 23_New Member Introduction22_Steve & Sukie [log in to unmask], 21 Dec 1987 19:14:00 -0500394_- We have 2 ferrets at our place - Hjalmar (an exceedingly stupid but
friendly 3 pound, 2 year old male), and Fritter (a very smart 2 pound
3 year old female). A few weeks ago we lost Hale to an illness that she
had been fighting for several months -- she was over 7 (we have no idea
what her real age was as she was purchased as an adult -- she may have
been as old as 9). [...]39_21Dec198719:14:[log in to unmask] 8712 112 28 23_New Member Introduction14_Tom [log in to unmask], 21 Dec 1987 19:14:00 -0500385_- Hello,

I've had my ferret for over a year now and I wouldn't trade him for anything.
He's an albino, and about 3 years old.

As to training him, my brother and I have managed to train him to come to the
sound of a whistle. This was done by rewarding him with his favorite snack
(cheerios) every time we would whistle. Now all you have to do is whistle and [...]39_21Dec198719:14:[log in to unmask] 8712 141 22 23_New member Introduction14_Susan A. [log in to unmask], 21 Dec 1987 19:14:00 -0500640_- Ferrets: Did someone say ferrets! I've thought about getting one
of these for years, until I was told they weren't allowed in CA.

For same! But, I'd still like to know 'bout 'em. Maybe one of
these days I'll move...

[log in to unmask]@oberon.usc.edu
University of Spoiled Children
Downtown Ellay

[I heard about a ferret owner from Oregon moving to California and
the authorities confiscated the animal. Fortunately, the owne
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:56:39 EDT
This is to the gal who made the comment about it being sad that there
were so many responses regarding the new beagle - but none to her,
regarding her sick ferret.

Did it occur to you that perhaps we didn't know the answer to your
problem, and therefore couldn't advise you?  Please try to think about
WHY there were more about the beagle.  It is possible that more people
have dealt with introducing a new animal to ferts than have dealt with
your situation.  I for one, had no advice for you - and didn' t want to
take up "space" here, when I couldn't help you.  It is also probable that
others like me, have never dealt with your situation.  We don't want to
give you "bad" or "wrong" advice, and since perhaps we have never dealt
with what your little fuzzy is going thru - we didn't want to steer you
wrong.

I can guarantee you that noone tried to "hurt your feelings" or "slight"
you with no response - it is just that if we do'n't know how to advise
you - then we just don't know.  Please don't take offense to it - as
none was intended towards you.  I can also guarantee you that if any of
us DID have advice, or could advise you, we would do it in a heartbeat.
We sure wouldn't want anything to happen to you or your little fuzzlet -
and if we could help, we would!

My advice to you is get to a good ferret knowledgeable vet.  If my fuzzy
had the issues you are describing, I personally, (but I have been known
to go OVERBOARD sometimes with my kids) - would park my butt at the vet's
office until someone told me what was wrong.  If my vet didn't know -
then I would seek out another vet - that was perhaps more knowledgeable -
in ferrets, and find out.  I would continue "hounding around" - until I
had the answer.  It is understandable why you ask this group - as we all
give advice when we can, but don't "slap" us around, because we didn't
have answers for you.  That just invites trouble.  I am sure you
understand.  I do sincerely hope that you and your fuzzy find out what
is wrong - and soon.  Good luck.  You and your fuzzy are in my thoughts
and prayers.

Kim, and Her Army of Idiots