From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 21:05:29 -0500
A while back I posted about a couple that was moving to Honduras and needed
some info on flying there with their ferrets in the cabin.  I don't know if
they ever heard from anyone, but it they decided to attempt to smuggle the
ferrets, "Magnolia" and "Katy Lu" (sp?) onto the plane with them.  They
were unable to find a vet that would label them pole "cats" which would
have allowed them in the cabin since the airline allows cats (duhhh).

I took them to Miami International this afternoon.  Susan wore a maternity
top with a pouch underneath to put Mags and Katy in.  They got all the bags
checked and came back out to my car where we were waiting.  Susan put them
both in the pouch and I'll be darned if she didn't look pregnant.  A little
lumpy and wiggly, but she felt they would settle down, which they did.

They made it through the security point where I was not allowed to go.  Tom
was waiting for his carry on bags to go through the x-ray machine and Susan
was leaning up against the wall a little ways down.  She had one hand on
the bottom of her "belly" and one on the top to make sure Mags and Katy
didn't pop out at an inappropriate time.

One of the security guards must have thought this looked a little suspicious
so she walked over to Susan and pointed at her belly.  I was too far away to
hear what was being said, but my heart sunk and I was sure they were caught
in the act.  The guard then felt her belly and then made her lift up her
maternity top a bit.  She saw what was there and I saw Susan talking and
waving her hands.  The security guard walked away with a smile and didn't
do anything!  I was shocked!

At that point Tom and Susan made it down the corridor and that was the last
I saw of them.  I waited until their plane left to make sure I wouldn't
have to bring two ferrets back home, but they never came back.  I assume by
now they are all safely in Honduras.  What an experience that was and I'm
sure glad it went so well.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC