From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 14:20:12 -0500
Last night on ICQ, it was discovered that a shelter in MI was shutting down
suddenly, and that there were 50 ferrets that would be turned over to the
local animal shelter and put down if not rescued by Tuesday.

Many people on ICQ offered to take one or more, but the logistics of doling
out so many ferrets in so short a time are daunting, and something needed
to be done immediately.

So Jean Caputo Lee of Ferrets Unlimited and Laurie Long of the Raisin
Retreat are driving even as I type to MI to pick up as many as will fit in
Jean's van.  We hope all of them.  They will be housed in Laurie's spare
unfinished room until they can be evaluated and homes found.

We think we will have enough cages and bedding.  Don't know yet about
bowls, water bottles and litter boxes.  We will need lots of food.  Jamie
and Missy Steinhauer are sending an extra kerosene heater, since the room
does not have any heating vents yet.  (Thank you!!)

Many of the ferrets are reportedly whole and will need neutering and
spaying.  We don't know yet about any special medical or behavioral
problems.

Laurie will need all the assistance we can provide in caring for so many
ferrets.  Besides the ones from MI, she has about 20 other personal and
shelter ferrets, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 kids and a hubby.  Anyone in the area
who has time to clip a few toenails and change a few litterboxes is welcome
to help out!

If they get back before too late, a followup will be posted.

Linda Iroff
The Raisin Retreat
Oberlin, Ohio
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html