From:
Melissa Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:43:00 -0600
I have posted previously about my ferret Yoda, and a spot on his back that
looked to be a skin tumor.  Well, when I took him to the vet, it turned out
to be a scab that we thought was in the process of healing.  She told me
just to keep an eye on it, and to contact her again if it didn't heal.  She
said that it didn't have the characteristics of a tumor, but that it did
need to be watched.

I want to back up to give alittle more background about the sore.  My
husband saw the area first, and to begin with it just looked like a scaly
raised bump.  Within a couple of days, it was a sore, probably due to the
scratching.  I took him to the vet on the 25th of January with the visit I
described above.  Now tonight, he has scratched off the scab, and we are
back to the sore again.  I know that when a sore is healing, sometimes it
will itch.  And of course, a ferret would scratch.  However, I am rather
concerned.  He has had this particular spot now for going on three weeks.
Although it has reached various stages of healing, now we are back to
square one.  I can't be sure, but Yoda does appear to have lost alittle
weight over the past few days.  It isn't really enough for me to even be
sure.  I am paranoid, so that doesn't help.  He seems to be playing,
eating, pooping and all those ferret things they do like normal.

I need to know if anyone on the list has any experiences like this with
your ferrets, and what was the cause.  Also what did the vet do to help.  I
plan to take him in tomorrow if I can get an appointment.  I just want to
be sure that the vet will give me the proper info.  She is a good vet, but
not an expert.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

Melissa Warren, Yoda and the other muskyteers