From:
"David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:48:27 -0500
At 28 Oct 1997 16:39:33 +1300 Sarah Milloy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether or not a rabbit hutch
>is big enough for two ferrets to live in.  I've read in lots of places that
>a cage about the size of a rabbit hutch can fit two or even three ferrets,
>but my dad doesn't think so.

This is an open invitation for opinions so realize that you will probably
get wildly different answers.

My own opinion is that you would do better with a larger cage.  I use a
"rabbit cage" that is about 30 inch long, 21 in.  wide and 18 in.  high when
one of ours gets sick and needs isolating.  A small litter box, food and
water, and a small sleeping box with bedding just about fills it.  If you
intend letting the two of them out a lot (at least a couple of hours a day),
then it may be adequate for two as they will only be sleeping and eating in
it.  However, I would suggest getting a second cage, the same size as you
already have.  Use wire or clips to attach it to the top of the existing
cage.  Cut an adjoining hole about 4 in.  x 4 in.  near the side in the
floor/ceiling where the two join.  Make a ramp so they can get from the
bottom cage to the top one.  Put all the bedding and toys up top.  Put all
the litter box and food down below.  Two should be very happy and you will
have room to add another later if you wish.

>My ferret's a male, so what sex is best?  (he's been neutered).

I don't think it will matter as long as both are neutered.  I've always had
about two weeks of agressive behavior before the newcomer is accepted and
settles in.  If you decide on the "two cage" idea suggested, then initially
you can put one in each cage and let them play together when they are out.
After a week or so they will then settle down and you can join up the cages.
HOWEVER, remember I'm keeping ferrets in the U.S.A. and those in New Zealand
may be more or less agressive.  You may do better to seek information from
someone in New Zealand.  (I once had a well informed reply about ferrets via
the FML from a: "S Young <[log in to unmask]>" Maybe you could try sending
him e-mail direct.)

>Also, everyone here seems to have great toy ideas for there ferrets, so I
>was wondering how do you make those hammocks - do they make good beds, or
>do you just hang them in the cage?

Yes, they love 'em.  Just hang them in the cage and they sleep in them.  Get
some tough material that doesn't have frayed edges etc.  which they might
eat.  Something like old, soft jeans is about right.  When finished it needs
to be about 12 in.  x 15 in.  I like to hem the edges to hide anything that
might fray so it needs to start out a bit larger.  I use a riveter such as
is used to put rivets in a tarpaulin or sail.  One rivet in each corner and
then tie the corners to the cage using a strong, non fray, cord.