From:
Barbara Ludt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:34:33 -0500
Words can't adequately express our gratitude to everyone who responded to
my initial post about BEN!  The many ideas, referrals, sharing of similar
experiences as well as the moral support and healing thoughts/prayers were
truly inspiring!  Thankyouthankyouthank you....one and all!

It's been an exhausting day but wanted to get an update posted to keep
everyone up to speed.  Here's the latest:

Brought BEN to Dr. Kemmerer's early this morning.  She immediately phoned
and "paved the way" with Dr. Pye, Dept. Head for Exotics Medicine, at the
UF/Veterinary Teaching Hospital, who in turn arranged a consult appointment
for BEN at 1 PM with the surgeon, Dr. Roger Bennett.  <YES!!>

In order to help with time constraints, BEN had his CBC and mini-chem panel
done at Dr. K's so I could just bring the results for Drs. Bennett and Pye
to review while determining the extent of his injury.

I can't do justice to their explanations and the diagrams they drew on the
blackboard; but in very simple terms, they hope to graft healthy tissue
from BEN's inside cheek and inner lip area across the gaping hole.  Most
likely, they will have to remove a molar tooth as well to accomplish the
proposed reconstruction.  Not sure if they will be able to close the wound
completely; but felt confident that it would be a MAJOR improvement over
what BEN's dealing with now.

In fact, as an example, they began to relate the recent (successful) and
somewhat similar reconstructive surgery they did for DAPHNE, Jennifer
Butts' ferret.  (Jennifer also emailed us and Drs. Bennett and Pye came
HIGHLY recommended by her!)

So, BEN may have his surgery tomorrow afternoon...if Dr. Bennett doesn't
have any complications with a surgery he's performing on a rhea up at the
Jacksonville Zoo tomorrow morning.  Otherwise, BEN may have to wait until
early next week as they have a very heavily booked surgery schedule over
the next few days.

BEN was started on antibiotics today and following surgery will probably
require a feeding tube to allow the roof of his mouth to heal.  Of course,
there are *always* risks and *no* guarantees with ANY surgery; but Drs.
B&P were confident they could improve the quality of BEN's life
considerably through these surgeries.

We felt this was BEN's best and only chance for a normal life...otherwise
the already necrosing tissue and infection risks would have probably
resulted in euthanasia in the very near future.

So, please keep BEN in your thoughts and prayers and send him lots of
positive healing energies!

We look forward to posting about the success of the surgery within a few
days.  And since Mike Janke has already graciously posted BEN's "before"
photos on his Ferret Health Care website
( http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc )...
we'll be sure to include "after" pics, too.

Once again, thank you ALL for your ideas and words of encouragement...and
special thanks to my dear friend and photographer extraordinaire, JACKIE
HAWLEY, for allowing me to commandeer her computer to access your emails--
while my computer is still suffering from a retroactive Y2K "flu" bug.
(lol!)

On behalf of (Gentle) BEN--I remain...

For The Ferrets
Barbara Ludt/Director
Northeast Florida Branch/SFFC&R

P.S.  With the sporadic nature of my computer's problems if anyone wishes
to email me directly any further re BEN please also "cc" Jackie at
"[log in to unmask]"...so we don't inadvertently "lose" and/or ignore
any of your messages.  **Fuzzy (((HUGS)))**