From:
Barbara Ludt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:38:53 -0500
Dear FMLers,

We are desperately seeking anyone who has experience re extensive surgical
repair to upper palate for a ferret who bit into a (plugged-in) electrical
cord!  Time is of the essence for this little guy....

Here's a synopsis: Jackie Hawley and I had a less than a year old, albino
ferret surrendered to us late last week.  Owner said she couldn't afford
his needed medical care.  Well, obviously not because this little guy's
injury actually happened in JUNE 1999!!!  As a free-roaming, unsupervised
kit he bit into a plugged-in electrical cord.  He suffered the loss of part
of his tongue and incurred a large burn wound in the top of his mouth.  He
also went from an almost two pound ferret to only a half-pound following
his ordeal.  Owner stated he was originally taken to a vet who prescribed
Amoxi...and that was the end of it until now...seven months later when she
surrendered him to us.  (Fortunately, his weigh has returned but will only
eat handfed "Duck Soup"...made with A/D, Baby Food and ground up
Shephard&Green Ferret Food.)

<His name was TIKKER...but it didn't seem to fit this sweet, brave,
neglected fuzzy and his various "Aunties" have been suggesting names such
as TROOPER, MATTHEW, BEN, et al.  Looks like the votes are in and he's been
re-named BEN.>

Jackie and I had never seen such a gaping hole that seemed to expose his
entire nasal/sinus cavity through the roof of his mouth.  We were hoping
our shock (pardon the pun) was just the result our inexperience with this
type of untreated major burn.  Off we go to our wonderful Dr. Debbie
Kemmerer, who we expected to say, "No problem; this is fixable.  We'll have
him good as new with some surgery."

Unfortunately, Dr. K was as taken aback as we were.  The hole was every bit
as bad as we thought.  No available healthy tissue to do a skin graft type
surgery to close up the hole.  Nothing up there to "work with".  Dr. K is
in the process of consulting with Dr. Bennett of the University of Florida
Veterinary Teaching Hospital in the hopes the University might have some
state-of-the-art equipment, surgical techniques, ideas, etc.

Unfortunately, I brought <GENTLE> BEN back to Dr. K's today for a re-check
as there was a portion of the wound that was disturbing to her during last
week's initial exam.  Well, it looks like our worse fears are being
realized....a large portion of the surrounding tissue seems to be necrosing
(dying) and this fact was further evidenced by the increasingly foul smell
of his breath (that was NOT evident only five days ago).

Sorry this post is so wordy but bottom line is...if anyone has experienced
this type of injury and can offer any ideas to help BEN, please either
email me directly off List at [log in to unmask] ...or if you are a
vet, please contact Dr. Kemmerer directly at WEST END ANIMAL HOSPITAL
(Newberry, FL)  Tel. 352-332-4357 or email at [log in to unmask] if you
can offer any guidance from a similar experience/case.

We hoping SOMEONE out there has a viable answer to save this little
trouper!  On behalf of BEN....THANK YOU!!

For The Ferrets,
Barbara Ludt, Director
Northeast Florida Branch/SFFC&R
Penney Farms, FL