From:
Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 00:05:20 -0700
>From:    KatKuckens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: What Color is my Ferret?
>Now take that same sable, and give her a white bib, white toes, a tiny
>white line on top of her head, a white face with a dark mask, huge silly
>pink nose, and deaf, the rest of her dark sable -- now you have Velcro.
>What color is she?

Sounds like a sable blaze (depending upon that white line on top)

>Next, Megabyte, looks like a sable only slightly paler, white face with
>pale mask, pink nose, the fluffiest fur I ever saw, almost a cinnamon tone
>on the underfur.  Name of color?

Not enough info.  Can you compare the color to some common item?

>Finally, Sassy, who I believe defines "chocolate," she is light to medium
>brown all over ( not black like a sable) and has brown eye rings, not a
>mask.

Hmm...  light sounds champagne.  Medium sounds chocolate.

Sable is dark brown to almost black.  Chocolate is medium to almost dark
brown.  (Milk chocolate not semi-sweet or dark chocolate.) Champagne is very
pale to almost medium brown.  (Cinnamon is a left over and now misnomer for
champagne.) Blacks are black though often with white mixed in.  (Silver to
many folks) Black Sable is a cool dark sable with white or gray undercoat
not the sable's buff or yellow and warm toned brown) Some standards seem to
mix patterns and colors and use black sable to describe a pattern - odd...

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]