From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 1994 08:20:41 -0400
To Rochelle concerning chipped teeth:

>Last time I had brought Fezzik in to the vet, the vet commented about the fact
>that Fezzik's teeth weren't chipped - he said that its very common for those
>upper canines to get chipped: either the ferret falls from somewhere, or trips,
>and the upper canines get chipped really easily.  Well, Fezzik now *does* have
>a chipped canine.  I don't know how it happened, but it doesn't seem to be
>bothering him at all.  He let me touch it and put pressure on it and didn't
>give any sign of feeling discomfort from it, and his eating habits haven't
>changed at all.  My question is, is there something that can be/should be done
>about it?  I've never heard of ferret dentistry, but I suppose that doesn't
>mean anything.  Is there something that should be done?

        Chipped teeth are common in ferrets.  I don't know about the tripping
and falling part - but I do know that they will break them on wire cages,
chewing the edges of food bowls, etc.  Remember - ferrets use their teeth to
explore their world (or so it seems - OUCH!!).

        Chipped teeth in ferrets are treated similarly to those in other
species.  Most of the time - nothing is needed.  It is only when the break
extends into the pulp cavity, or the innermost portion of the dentine (necxt tot
he pulp cavity) that something should be done.  If the pulp is exposed, not only
is this painful and will prevent your ferret from eating in most cases, buyt the
area is then ripe for infection, which may spread through the tooth into the
bone.  You have two choices at this time - you can pull the tooth, or have a
root canal done.  Many veterinarians are now routinely doing this procedure, and
it will save the tooth.

        If there is no discoloration (dead teeth turn a dark grey-brown), or
pain, and Fezzik continues to eat, tI don't think you have a problem.  But check
it regularly for a few weeks...

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000