From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:56:46 +1000
Someone asked about cage biting a few post ago, but hasn't yet received
and answer, so I would like to offer some advice..

Cage biting is ( as one other member put it) simply the ferret saying "I
want out".

As long as your cage is not one that can hurt the ferret should they
continue to bite it, the best advice is to IGNORE IT.

never ever let the ferret out when it is biting the cage... it will only
reinforce the idea that biting will get it OUT !

we have had a few cage biters, and we never let them out when they are
biting the cage, rattling the bars, or generally misbehaving, instead we
wait until they have calmed down, or gone asleep, or otherwise..  then
let them out, they eventually will learn that cage biting will get them
nowhere, and they will stop..  none of ours do it anymore..as they know
it doesn't help.

tho, keep in mind that cage biting can be cause by other things, such as
young kits simply teething ( need something to chew), or normal "chewing"
for teeth strength/cleaning etc, especially if they are fed soft foods,
or some sort of obsessive behavior.

also ensure they cannot hurt themselves chewing the cage bars or anything
like a wooden frame that may disintegrate into splinters..and if they
continue to do it, check their gums and teeth to ensure they aren't
damaging themselves..

I hope that helps, but I am not an expert, if you need more advice I am
sure someone with more experience can help.

Darrin