From:
Tuck Kemper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 13:03:24 -0500
Last night around 1930, Major Burns departed this life for the healing he
so desperately needed, but which could only be found on the other side of
the Rainbow Bridge.  He had been sick a long time.  He'd suffered from
Insulinoma surgery, and a resulting cataract on his left eye.  He'd had
one, then another adrenalectomy, the second one including a splenectomy,
after his cancer had metastasized there.  He seemed much better these past
few weeks, until a few days ago, becoming listless, and appearing to have a
distended abdomen.  We were scheduled to do another ultrasound on Tuesday,
when he became incontinent last night, and looked up at me as if to say,
"Daddy, its time for me to go." He was in my arms as he slipped away at the
vet's office.  The vet asked if I wanted to be there as he helped him over
the bridge, and I replied, "No, I don't want to be here at all.  However,
I'm GOING to be here!  I want Major to die with dignity, and looking at the
face of the man who loved him to the point of being obnoxious to non-ferret
people.  I should not cry....he was ready, and suffering, but for me, I
cry.  He was my first, he still is.

Major Burns came to me in December 1995, as my first rescue.  Discovered
in an apartment parking lot, the director of the animal shelter, a personal
friend, said, "I know you've had experience with ferrets.  I have one here
that isn't doing too well, and thought you might take him for a few days,
help him get settled down, until I can get him placed." At the time I was
ferretsitting two of my son's ferrets, and Fred thought maybe Major would
do better in their company until he was adopted.  That's what I thought
Fred thought!!!  What Fred was really thinking was......"SUCKER".  Anyway,
Major came and finally got adopted last night by all of his brothers and
sisters who've already gone to the bridge.  I hope he'll be accepted by the
likes of Sandee and Kodo.  He's always been the "alpha" ferret around here,
and, well, being a MAJOR and all, he may just want to take over!

Just find him a white reebok, slightly worn, and he'll be happy.  He has
his favorite pajama bottoms already with him, so he'll be ok.  I don't know
about his Dad, though.  I didn't know this would hurt so much.  Thank you
to all who've counseled me about his various illnesses these past few
years, you know who you are.  Special thanks to Dick and Joan , and to
Bruce Williams for encouraging me, and affirming he was getting the care he
needed.  I'm convinced he lived two years longer because of your advice.

Major Burns, you be a good boy now.  Your daddy will miss you.

---Tuck Kemper

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.