From:
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2005 22:26:15 -0400
A few weeks ago I posted about a mommie weasel who was beaten to death
and her babies were waiting on the Ministry of Natural Resources for
help.  I have sad news to share.  The babies were allowed to starve to
death.  The following is what I posted to our MNR and Liberal government.
For info, please see www.wildlifeontario.ca

I have been working with animals for over 13 years and nothing I have
seen or heard of upsets me more than the current and proposed MNR
regulations.  Ontario is the laughing stock of North America right now
because our government has allowed this barbaric practice to continue.

I used to be an avid supporter of the Liberal party but unless action is
taken to change the current legislation and stop proposed cruel changes,
I WILL NOT be voting Liberal in the future.  If you think that people are
going to sit idly by while you allow animals to suffer, you are sadly
mistaken.  Dalton McGuinty, you made a promise to residents of Ontario
for a more progressive wildlife response - make good on your word.  I
want the MNR to follow International guidelines, which are humane and
sensible.

It breaks my heart to know how many animals the MNR and MY government are
allowing to die this year.  It angers me that while these animals are
suffering and dying you won't allow the professional rehabilitators do
their jobs and that it's illegal for anyone else to do it.

Recently our society received a call from a man who beat a mother weasel
to death while she was trying to get food to her young.  I called the
MNR, believing they were there to help the defenseless.  I was shocked
and horror stricken once I realized those baby weasels were allowed to
starve to death.  Had I intervened, I was warned I would go to jail.
What kind of society puts well meaning people in jail for trying to SAVE
an animal's life?  Ours does.

"You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals" and if this is
true, I'm ashamed to be in our "society".  Shame on YOU for not being the
only voice the animals of Ontario had and shame on ME for voting you into
a position of power that you have wasted.

Randy Melanie Belair
President
The Ferret Aid Society "For the Love of our Fuzzy Friends"
<http://www.ferretaid.org/>