From:
Mary Sennwald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:30:34 -0500
Re: your question in Nov 16/17 FML
>does any one have any information as to weather or not lymphoma is
>contagious to other ferrets????????"

Hi..  That's a good question... and I don't think there is a definitive
answer as yet.  According to James Fox, author of "Biology and Diseases of
the Ferret - Second Edition" there is some question as to the etiology and
transmission of whether lymphoma is virally generated, or whether it isn't.
There is some indication to viral transmission indicated by community
ferrets.  To quote, (Page 232 of the above mentioned book) "Clinical,
pathologic, epidemiologic features including cluster outbreaks in ferrets
suggest an infectious etiology for some lymphomas." There is also
suggestion that it is caused by Aleutian disease parovirus, feline leukemia
virus, and a ferret retrovirus.  Apparently, recently the Helicobacter
mustelae bacterium has also been given as a potential cause for gastric
lymphomas.

It's a hard call, IMHO either way, as many owners have numerous ferrets and
cats, but only have a single incidence of lymphoma in a ferret.

At present, our sweet Snoopy (4 months old) has juvenile lymphoma (probably,
as there is neck and groin lymphatic gland involvement, and also a small
amount of coughing) he has 9 other cage mates who he enjoys the heck out of
*G* he's a wee bit of a brat.  So I hate to separate him from his buddies.
I don't want to reduce the quality of his life.

I wish I had a more concrete answer for you.  I don't believe there is one
as yet, I certainly empathize with your concern.

Mary and the group of 10