From:
Mary Sennwald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 09:14:08 -0500
Hi Nicole,
Doctors of any kind can be pretty confusing at times, *L*  I know, I have
to decipher their dictated reports.  One thing to remember, is that most
doctors are pretty good about explaining, if you ask.  If he isn't, then
you need to let him know he isn't.  I've done that, and had really good
success with it.  Many times they forget a little, just how much they had
to learn, and don't realize he is speaking doctor-ese *G*

Written:

"A single bulbous type lesion on food pad, notable seborrhea and
hyperkeratosis interdigitally on only 4 feet.  Suspect possible malassezia.
Also because of unsure history possible sequlae to distemper."

Translation:

There is a growth on the bottom of his foot where you can see the skin.
There is skin disease, "seborrhea", which causes an excessive secretion of
sebum, which is a sort of greasy lubricating substance that the skin makes
to protect itself.  There is also, between the toes, "hyperkeratosis"
(Hyper, meaning more than usual, and keratosis, means a scaly, or wart like
growth) so more scaly or hard skin type growth between the toes than is
normal.  (There is a seborrheic keratosis, so this is what I would suspect
is what it is..  and this is only my opinion, I am NOT a vet, or a Doctor)
 .... to continue..  the vet suspects that you ferret has Malassezia fungus
(yes, it should have been capitalized, its named after a man)  This is a
fungus that is a genus which is yeast like in nature.  I work with a vet (I
am a Veterinary Medical Transcriptionist) and I know that he tells folks to
use Selsun Blue Shampoo for most skin problems on pets.  Its reasonably
priced, and looks after a whole lot of skin problems without causing even
more itching.

Hope this helped :)

Mary and the terrible 10