From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 10:47:50 EST
>I would really like someone who is knowledgeable about heliobacter to
>teach us all what to look for.

Helicobacter mustelae is quite common in ferrets and may be the leading
cause of diarrhea.  Many if not most carry it in their system with no
symptoms.  It's when it begins multiplying out of control that it leads to
trouble.

H. mustelae, when uncontrolled, can lead to severe dehydration, ulcers and,
if untreated, death.

Stress seems to be the trigger in promoting the disease to the uncontrolled
stage.  That stress can be many things including: adding a new ferret to
the household, new food, loss of a companion, other illness, etc..  Ferrets
become lethargic, and rapidly lose weight, Dehydration is common.  Often
but not always, the stool will appear green and/or with mucus.  The odor is
foul.

Treatment is often Amoxidrops to kill the helicobacter; carafate to help
prevent or soothe ulcers.  It is critical to control the diarrhea as
quickly as possible.  At our shelter we've found that Pepto Bismal (about
1/3 cc every 4 hours - check with your vet for dosage) helps stop the
diarrhea.  Ferrets generally hate it.  Sometimes they hate it to the point
that it becomes an additional stress factor.  In those cases we use
Kaopectate (1/3 - 1 cc every 4 - 6 hours - again check with your vet) will
help control it.

We syringe feed duck soup and pedialyte if the ferret is not eating or
drinking.  Often we will supplement the regular diet even if the ferret
appears to be eating and drinking.

With aggressive treatment, the diarrhea usually stops within 2 - 5 days.
Continue the treatment until the Amoxidrops are gone.  We've found that
continuing the treatment for up to 30 days prevents relapse.

Dick B.