From:
Karen Rochette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:58:38 EST
O.K. heres the quick run down.  Some of you know that my gang came down
with ECE abour 2 wks. ago.  We discovered it when our 1.5 yr. old male
sable rescuee,suddenly inexplicably Stopped eating !  We missed the earlier
stages almost entirely because we were treating 4 new rescuee kits were
half - starved,2 of them near death because the previous owner had not had
the time,or patience to see that they were properly fed,smaller types of
feed,and that they were getting it.

Anyway when we began to suspect what we were dealing with,we contacted
first Dr. Bruce Williams at Ferret Central,then several days later,we
finally reached Karen Purcell,whom called us at home,while we were in with
our sick babies.  Anyway,both said we were in fact dealing with ECE,and
went over with us what we should do.

Now,my questions are these,Spice lost a lot of weight,before we actually
figured out what the problem was,we're feeding all of our Kids Duck soup
with pepto - bismal given to them just before the feeding.  Dr. Purcell
also prescribed Hard Boiled eggs and turkey baby food with gravey for
Spice to help strengthen him up.  My problem,is that of the 4 Kids that we
believe who have come doen with ECE,none are willing to even Touch either
plain baby food,nor eggs,or the two mixed together.  They'll take the baby
food,no problem it it's mixed with the duck soup,but Not the eggs in any
size,shape,or form!  News years morning I'm trying a mixture of the eggs
finaly ground,and added to their duck soup,I don't think it wiil work,I'm
going to try anyway.  Do any of you have any suggestions of how I can
Convinve at least Spice to take his eggs?  Also ,their still not really
eating their ferret food,we have 2 that are a little the rest,including
Spice,are Not.  I've tried grinding up the treats and mixing them well in
with the food,this gets them nibbling their regular food ,for about 1
day,after that,no go.  I'm still giving them pepto bismal,Thurs.  night,we
tried not giving the pepto bismal,they ate their duck soup,just fine,and
this morning,their stools looked Normal.

My question is ,should I continue with the HATED pepto - bismal,or is 1
wks.  treatment of this enough with ECE as long as there are no mouth
sores,and they are eating the duck soup.  I'm giving extra baby food ,and
pedialyte in the duck soup,plus pedialyte in their water.  Spice as both a
water dish,and a water bottle in his cage.

Please send your comments directly to me at [log in to unmask]

And once again again,thanks to all of you.  We appreciate your Help in this
difficult time.

Margie,(dookdook) Please contact me!