From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:49:41 -0400
Good Morning,

Its been a long, long time since anyone has heard from me. Financial
disaster and deep, deep depression took over my life all of last year
after the loss of my husband in the fall of 2012. Almost lost
everything.

Many kind and wonderful people extended themselves to me but I just
couldn't face anything at that time. Unanswered letters and emails....
I just "quit" on everyone and myself. I am so sorry. I was in a deep
dark place and wanted to be alone. But, I wasn't alone.

What kept me from literally throwing my life away was my ferrets and my
shelter. I had to get up each and every day to care for them. If not
me, who? I had to go to work every day to earn the money to keep things
going and keep a roof over our heads and food in their bowls. I didn't
have to smile and be happy, though. I've cried so much I'm all cried
out! But, responsibility for other souls kept me from quitting on them
and myself.

It's been a lifetime ago since my Precious crossed the Bridge -- next
month, 2002. The next day I said I wanted to open a ferret shelter in
her honour. I did and it's still operational today. I can't really
count how many ferrets I've taken in or rescued. Doesn't really matter,
though. I can remember them all. I can remember their names. I can
remember each and every ferret and their circumstances and, if they
never left me, where they now rest in my memorial garden. I verily well
know the pain of loss and the absolute joy of success! Oh, the stories
we shelter moms and dads could tell! Have a few myself...

My friends and coworkers thought I was crazy then, and still do,
especially now with all that I have endured. My goodness I have made
mistakes, thankfully none that resulted in death or injury to a ferret.
I admit to one huge error in judgment that could have resulted in my
being charged with a crime....all for the love of ferrets. Thankfully,
people that had authority knew I had a "good heart" but just went about
it in the wrong way. In the end, the ferrets were rescued and the
breeder was charged with multiple counts of animal cruelty, jailed,
fined, and prohibited from owing or harboring any animals for ten
years. But if the situation arose again, I would soo do it differently!

I have learned through trial and error...mostly error. Always put the
fuzzies ahead of my own self. Still do. I just hope that when it is my
time to leave this earthly home, I will have made a difference in the
lives of those who knew me; and most importantly, did I leave this
world a better place for ferrets and cats.

This much I am certain, I opened this shelter knowing that it was to be
operated with the best intentions, and with 150% effort and commitment
- or not at all! Eyes wide open...heart already was. That meant the
best I could provide...food, cages, bedding, equipment, and vet care.
The best ferret-wise vet I could afford. Luckily I found the best
ferret-wise veterinarian in my area and he was always kind to my furr
kids and gentle with the bills. For years, my income provided the sole
funding for the shelter...that included vet bills, sometimes those
bills could be quite huge. Never, ever in my wildest dreams did I ever
entertain the notion that top-notch veterinary care for the ferrets
was not a necessary and reasonable expense. Good lord!

If the facts given are accurate, I would seriously question this lady's
knowledge and commitment to opening and operating a ferret shelter. The
post did mention she actually talked to this woman and did not get this
information second-hand. I believe the post to be credible. I have
had countless people adopting ferrets from me suggest that someday
they would love to open a shelter. None ever have to my knowledge --
especially after asking countless questions and getting a complete
picture of what a shelter commitment is and the cost of running one
properly. That means vet care and the cost that results from proper vet
care for the ferrets. Any veterinarian that believes their services
(including vaccinations) is a waste of money is not a veterinarian
that I would consider, ever...and I would question that veterinarian's
professionalism and credibility.

So, what kind of shelter would be in operation here?! While not wanting
to discourage anyone from this noble work, you have to know what you
are getting into and seeing the full picture...that includes the cost!
I had less than a year's experience with ferrets but had over a decade
in rescue and sheltering before August of 2002. I knew the cost and
commitment of rescue and sheltering before I opened my own in-home
shelter. And I was certainly amenable to advice and help from
experienced and well-seasoned in the field -- and still am. While not
knowing this person nor having a conversation with her and from the
information at hand, anyone that thinks they know it all and is not
receptive to advice and help from others who have been down that long
road before is a "twit." Sounds like ignorance and arrogance to me.
Perhaps a money making endeavor? I wish you well with that. I have
invested way more money in Raisins than I ever have received.

Precious was my first ferret and a rescued ferret at that. She never
really recovered from her abandonment but for six months, she lived a
lifetime with me, and she changed my life forever.

Rescue and shelter moms and dads are weird people -- AND I CAN SAY
THAT BECAUSE I AM ONE! We give up so much of our lives for the cause.
Not everyone is wired that way. Not everyone has the every damn day
commitment that it requires!

 ...and, for me, the shelter and the ferrets in shelter, saved my
life! I consider their debt to me paid in full and with credit for
the future.

Maren Qualls
Founder/President
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS