From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 07:20:31 -0400
To Jim Storm - I read, sadly, of Frettchen's passing after I had sent my
previous reply.

        It lokks like all of the rubber had not been passed, and probably had
ruptured the intestinal wall, causing extensive hemorrhage.  The fluid loss
from the sites of hydration is probably the result of markedly decreased
clotting factors or platelets (which presumably had all been used up in the
intestine.)

        What you can do:  NO MORE RUBBER!!!  This is an especially poor toy for
a ferret to play with - they commonly chew it up (especially latex) and swallow
it.  That also means remove all of the rubber doorstops in your house, and keep
ferrets out of showers with latex caulk.  The problem here is incomplete
ferret-proofing.  But a ferret may eat anything when bored - even the bedding.
You must provide a stimulating environment, even when you are not home.  Make
sure you spend quality time with your ferret before and after work.

        Two bouts with rubber means that the problem is more than just
availability of rubber.

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology