From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:09:49 -0600
Here is what we do after surgery.

I mop the bathroom with bleach water and place down a clean blanket on the
floor.  Then I bring in one of the carriers, complete with a warm comfy
blanket inside.  I add cage cups with water in food, put on the grill at a
low level.  I also place the carrier so that the cage door won't get pushed
shut.  Then I wedge our plexi-glass barrier in the door - this allows me to
leave the door open and listen and see what is going on in the bathroom.  I
have a small house and the bathroom is right off the livingroom (where I
sleep).

If there were complications during or after surgery then I keep the ferret
in a one level cage right beside my bed so I can monitor during the night.

When I pick up the ferret(s) I bring their recipe and water with me.  They
are usually very hungry so I feed them right there at the vets office while
we are talking about the surgery.  Then off we go home.

Throughout the night I feed the recipe and check on them several times.
After the first 24 hours I let them out of the bathroom - if there are no
complications.  Then I check on them throughout the night.  I usually find
them at the bottom of a pile of ferrets so I check the incisions carefully.
I continue to feed the recipe for about a week.

For bruising I use Arnica homeopathic tablets.  I crush 1/2 a tab in with
their feeding twice a day.  There is also a cream that can be applied
topically to the bruised area.

Hugs to all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  (I'm thankful for all the
wonderful people that take shelter/unwanted/stray ferrets into their homes.)
tle