From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 08:00:09 -0400
Bev asked me if I had responded to the post a few days ago about mouth
ulcers.  Oops, that slipped past me and I can't find the original post, so
here is my experience.

This summer, Belle developed an ulcer on the roof of her mouth while I was
on vacation and she was being ferret-sat.  She also had sores on her hip and
chest.  The vet, who is not very ferret-knowledgeable, but willing to learn,
pulled out a big book and we decided that "focal ulcerative pyoderma"
matched the symptoms best, though the book did not mention mouth ulcers.  It
is caused by staph or strep bacteria, and was succesfully treated with
Cephalexin (sp).  Also used an antibacterial shampoo on the sores once a
day, and swabbed the roof of her mouth twice a day with a yucky tasting
mouth wash.

Belle recovered quickly, and the ulcer never bothered her sufficiently to
affect eating.

Linda, Richard, Joy, Belle, and Caruso