From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 11:20:04 -0400
("Miracle Max" is a character from the movie "The Princess Bride". He could
resurrect dead people, depending on how dead they were.)

Max, a 3 year old sable hob, came to the shelter mid August.  When his young
owner moved to California, his parents turned him loose.  When a neighbor
found out about this, she contacted her mother-in-law, a ferret owner, who
contacted the shelter.

Max had been living outside in a wire cage.  He was very thin and stressed.
For two weeks, he would seem to improve briefly, then regress again.  Each
time we tried something new (Colloidal Silver, antacids, Vitamin B shot,
antibiotics, etc) he would rally and then fade after a day or two.  Even
with forced feedings, he continued to lose weight.  Finally, after one
feeding, he vomited a small piece of cloth.

He was taken immediately for a barium series, which confirmed a blockage.
Surgery removed quantities of cloth from his stomach and intestines.  For
the first couple days after the surgery, he was so weak we didn't think he
would make it.

A month later, Max has been resurrected and is a new ferret.  After a week,
he learned to dook and trot about the house exploring.  After two weeks he
started to war dance, probably for the first time in years.  He likes to
turn over small trash cans, empty them out and sleep in them.  He will chase
us around the house, but quickly learned that biting our feet when he caught
us was a no-no.  He sometimes comes when called.  He has a wonderfully
expressive face, and has mastered the woeful look when put back in his cage
after playtime.

Max was neutered on Friday, and is still moving a bit gingerly.  But he is
ready for a new home to continue his wonderful new life.

For information on adopting Max or one of his shelter mates, see
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter
Serving Northeast Ohio