Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 09:41:53 EDT
Here's an update on Lee's ferret Ben, the one who had the accident with the
windbreaker.  Thanks to those who wrote with advice!  In talking to Lee as
well, she and the vet are pretty confident in the ulcer diagnosis.

As a piece of trivia, Ben was named for Ben Carr, the guy in the Mighty
Mighty Bosstones whose only job is to jump around the stage.  It suits
him :-)

 ---begin forwarded message---

Just a short update on Ben.  I stopped by Angell Memorial to talk to the
vet, since there seemed to be no other way to contact her.  Since the
x-rays were negative for foreign body ingestion, they're treating him
symptomatically for Helicobacter mustelae infection (ie. classic ulcer)
with Amoxycillin, Flagyl, and Pepcid.

I know this drill well, having done it with a number of foster and shelter
ferrets, and from my father's experience.  Fortunately, I live too far away
to have been drafted into force-feeding my father.

Of all the things, common and uncommon it could have been, a stress ulcer,
treated well, is very benign.

I'll get another update tomorrow.  If he continues to improve, he'll come
home tomorrow evening, to his devoted nurse and his harem of sprites who
seem to miss him, kind of.

Regina Harrison  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

               ...melancholia, mon cher...