From:
Kaye FitzGerald Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:53:34 +0100
Re; the article about ferrets being used aboard ship for ratting and in
rat fights.

I know things are different over here and most US ferrets are kept purely as
pets, but my friend actually makes a living from ratting the farms round
here with his ferrets and terriers.So it still happens...

He thinks I mollycoddle mine coz they're the kids' pets but we do intend to
take them out and see if they can catch their own rabbits with our dogs.
They're feisty little things and when we take them out for a walk in the
woods they're forever "hunting" through leaves and down likely looking
holes.I don't think there's any problem with ferrets not wanting to
work,they love it.You just have to keep an eye on any bites etc.

I guess it's a different ball game on this side of the pond!
K.