From:
Kaye FitzGerald Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 16:00:51 +0100
Hi Sam,

We're having the same problem but the other way round i.e.the dogs were here
first and then along came the ferrets.I would just like to say don't leave
them together unsupervised even for a second.You'll never forgive yourself
if you turn round to answer the phone and..snap!

I thought we were going to have real problems to start off with as our JRT
was eating the wooden hutch they're in, to try to get at them, and JRTs are
renown as ratters!However, with perseverance they've all mellowed out and
the only problem we have now is that the ferrets always try to nip our
lurcher which she's most offended by,but she's so soft she runs away rather
than hurt them.

I think you're just going to have to do "little and often" closely
supervised and keep at it.Don't be too hard on the pup if he does have a
go,try to divert his attention with toys or treats after you've growled "No"
at him.Make sure the ferrets have got an escape route too (kiddie gate or
something the dog can't get through).We take all ours out for walks together
and although it's a hassle having to walk slow,I think it's been a help to
get them used to each other.

Good luck and I hope it all works out,
    K.