From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:36:29 -0400
Hello everyone,

A 7 year old female ferret was dropped off at the shelter I volunteer at
yesterday.  She has been with one owner her entire life.  This person fed
her (ok, fasten your seatbelts!) soy milk, kitten chow, raisins, banana
slices and grapes for her entire life.  The shelter director has a vet
appointment on Monday to have her checked out, including blood work.  The
ferret appears to be happy, healthy and "tubby", no doubt from the soy
milk, which contains a lot of calories.  According to the surrender-er,
she has never been sick or had any surgery whatsoever, but her poops are
a little "runny" (DUH!!!)

Question: would changing her diet be worse than continuing along the same
path?  She's 7 and has been problem free - so why mess with that?  Maybe
we should just eliminate the fruit, keep the soy milk and try to
integrate some ferret food into her kitten chow?

We are trying to make this transition to a foster home as stress free as
we can.  The original owner says she is DEFINITELY on her own schedule
for the soy milk and fruit - every day - four times a day she DEMANDS her
"buffet".

Input will help us get her assimilated, happily, to her new environment.
Thank you!

Lisa