From:
Larry & Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:33:27 -0600
This is true and happening now!!  I spoke to the principle of the high
school, she's not interested in this ferrets welfare, just getting it
back.  She didn't even know that Deano needed vaccines until I told her.
She also told me that I was more interested in vaccines in ferrets than
children [go figure] I told her children were her job, ferrets were mine.

If you could send letters to these people, informing them about ferrets
and ferret care, it would be a great help.  The principle of the high
school is not aware that there are so many people interested in ferrets
or their welfare.

Principle: Lila Ronn

Superintendent: Michael Wyatt

Head of the school board: Kim Hirsch

Dear Fellow Ferret Friends:

I would like to make others, that feel as I do about ferrets, aware of my
story.  I worked a high school as a teaching assistant.  We have various
animals at the school one of which was a ferret, Deano who had been
abandoned.  I connected with him immediately.  I began taking him home
every weekend so he wouldn't be alone for so many days and nights.  As it
was, I wasn't comfortable with him being alone from mid-afternoon and all
night during the week.  He did very well at our house.  He bonded with us,
learned the house and where all the fun stuff was to hide!  Two weekends in
a row he went home with others.  One weekend with a student and the other
with another assistant.  The end of the school year was approaching and I
wanted to see if he would be okay going home a student for the summer.  I
had him the next weekend and fount it took over two weeks to get him
readjusted to our family, house and eating.  I had to try various foods
(the school fed him cat food which I knew wasn't good for him) and
supplement it with apple to get him to eat anything.  Thankfully, he began
eating normally and I weaned him off the apple, since that should be more
of an occasional treat.  Because of this I felt it would be better if we
kept Deano for the summer.  The school had him in a small cage so we
converted a large cage into a multilevel home for him with ferret toys and
two separate sleeping dens away from his food and litter box.

Deano has had an ongoing problem with one of his eyes.  That took constant
care over the summer months including vet visits and medication.  I was
happy to take the responsibility of care for him.  When school began they
didn't have a cage for Deano.  Also the person who took primary care for
the cage cleaning food and water for the animals was now going to have to
spend more time with the students.  The school didn't know who was going to
be able to care for the animals.  So with that fact and not having a cage
I was told to keep Deano.  The school has given animals away in the past,
in the spring they gave away a rabbit to a staff member so this didn't
surprise me to be told to keep him.  Again, I was happy to take him, I had
expressed that I would like to keep him for his sake as well as ours.  I
explained the anxiety he went through after the two weekend separation from
last school year and was concerned, now that we had him continuously over
the summer it wouldn't be healthily for him.  I began doing more research
and learning even more about ferret care and behavior.  Something in which
was admitted and proven to me the school didn't know much, if anything,
about.

I was leaving my position at the school.  Deano needed to have his eye
removed due to a fluid buildup.  I offered to pay for the surgery many
times.  The science department had a meeting and the surgery was one of
the topics to be discussed.  I stayed for that meeting.  I was appalled
at the lack of compassion and our and out cruelty that was displayed which
was passed off jokingly (some staff members apologized the next day).  The
department didn't want to pay for the surgery out of their fund.
Euthanasia was even suggested as being a cheaper alternative.  As my eyes
began to well up with tears an even the idea of that, I again, offered to
pay for the surgery.  A staff member agreed Deano had a good home with us
and shouldn't be denied that home.  The idea was presented to have the
students donate to the surgery.  A jar was placed at the students store and
kids did donate change.  Deano had surgery and recovered beautifully at our
house.  The night of the surgery he only wanted to be held.  I attempted to
make dinner, I had set up a bed in the kitchen for him so I could keep an
eye on him since he had been anesthetized, that didn't work!  He wanted to
be held.  I picked him up, he fell right asleep in my arms.  Needless to
say dinner was never made.  I spent the night making Deano feel safe
instead.

Deano has visited the school two or three times since the surgery, for the
day then hi is back at our house for the night.  The students wanted to
know how he was doing.  The kids knew me and knew he lived with us.
Everything was great!  Then I received a message that the school wants
Deano back.  I was shocked that they meant on a permanent basis!  I
couldn't believe after two traumatic incidences that we saw him through,
nearly seven months of full time care (not including weekends during the
previous school year) obvious bonding he has done with us, all the free
time he gets outside of his cage, his age, the attention he receives from
us, the lack of knowledge the school has on proper ferret care and the fact
that I believed he was our pet.  The messages I received were less than
specific or detailed.  I spoke with someone at the school about this
demand.  I explained how ferrets very often go into a depression, suffer
anxiety and stress, they will stop eating and starve to death when
separated from someone they have bonded with.  I reminded this person of
the readjustment to our house and eating after the two weekend incident.  I
was then told the head of the department said that the school was getting
calls from parents concerned about the ferret and he would have to come
back.  They would try it for a while, see if he adjusts, then say he didn't
and tell the parents they found a good home for him in the community.  I
was amazed at this statement.  To me it sounds like there must have been
some misrepresentation to the students and parents.  Maybe someone needs to
save themselves and Deano is going to have to suffer for that mistake.  I
cannot let that happen.  I left two messages for the head of the department
explaining the trauma and effects this would have on Deano, how unnecessary
this would be.  If parents and students are really concerned about the
health of Deano, wouldn't they be pleased to know he has that good home in
the community already.  That he's been with us several months and has
bonded.  I would be happy to call those who are concerned and reassure them
of his happiness.  I also spoke with the school's principal thinking that
as a self proclaimed animal lover she would understand.  I was told by her
that you couldn't put a ferret before people.  In this case, with these
facts I believe we can.  No people stand to be hurt by Deano staying with
us, not in the way he would be hurt by leaving us.  She wasn't even aware
that Deano wasn't in the school.  I was left another message, again not
specific, that he needed to be brought back because it was a legal issue.
I have checked the legalities of this situation and have been told by legal
professionals they are in my favor.

Some other things that make me uncomfortable about Deano going back to
school is the handling by so many different people, the fact that ferrets
are susceptible to colds and disease, the time spent in a cage without
anyone around possibly from 2:00 - 2:30 p.m. until 8:00 - 8:30 a.m.  I
was also told by a staff member that it would be okay to leave him at the
school on weekends as long as he had enough food and water.  Deano is
approximately 6 years old, he is not used to that.  He's out of his cage
more than he is in it at our house.  He spends time with us outdoors on
his leash, goes on walks with us and even on our weekends out of town.
Personally, I think that's preferable to being locked in a cage alone in
a school all weekend.  He's part of our family and he's happy.

I have experts in the field supporting me, such as staff at the Humane
Society, two separate ferret rescues, and an exotic animal vet.  I, also,
have support from some staff members and students at the high school.

I loved my job at the school.  I left on very good terms, I was asked to
stay and told there would always be a job for me there.  I thought I may
However, I cannot think of myself in this situation but what is best for
Deano.  I, as well as many others, feel where he is what's best for him.
He doesn't deserve the stress and instability of a school environment.

I don't want to be difficult, but I will take this to the public in many
forums including the media, immediate community and metropolitan.  Also the
School Board if necessary.  I will get signed affidavits from experts.  We
would appreciate any support from other ferret organizations as well as
animal lovers.  We will be Deano's voice.  He deserves the rest of his life
to be happy, the beginning has already had too much trauma!

Thank you very much for your attention and support.
Deano's Family

The following letter is from the Principal at St.  Francis High School.
The same person who had no idea that Deano wasn't at the school or if he
had been vaccinated until conversations from myself and a ferret rescue
professional.

When you read the letter please note the lack of compassion for Deano and
what would be in his best interest rather than the school's.  The reference
to Deano being a mere possession, the way he is referred to as "it"
repeatedly.

Deano may have been sustained at the school but was his quality of life
what it is now?  Not even close, why they would want to change that is
beyond me.  Remember I worked at the school while Deano was there.  I'm the
only one that can make the comparison to his life then as to now.  Believe
me he is happier and much more playful, he's thriving now in a stable home
environment.  The school isn't taking into consideration that Deano has
been living a different life for nearly seven months.  He isn't going to
just readjust to a school environment, why should he be subjected to being
"content" to use the Principal's words?

In regard to the "intent" to return Deano after a week or so, that's news
to me.  I was told to keep Deano.  With staffing changes the school wasn't
sure who was going to be able to care for the animals and they didn't have
a cage for him.

Other staff members realize that Deano has a good home with us and don't
understand why that should be interrupted.  Why can't Mr. Plantenberg and
Mrs. Ronn do what's best for Deano?

I wonder what the school is going to do when there will be more expenses in
the future with Deano's care.  As those of us who understand ferret care
know the possibility of tumors and other health risks are great in older
ferrets.  When euthanasia was proposed and not wanting to use money from
the science budget for the eye surgery how disposable will Deano be when
these expenses arise?  Will the school quickly then try to find him a "good
home in the community"?  Deano already has that.

--
See our little kritters at:
http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/panda/69