Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:04:55 EST
Hello everyone,

Well Spanky is safe and sound at the Pomona Humane Society.  I spoke with
the chief of DFG in that area who reaffirmed DFG policy of not putting down
ferrets when there is an alternative.  I kindly reminded him that with
ferret rescue in place there is always an alternative.  Unfortunately
getting Spanky on a plane today didn't happen.  A breakdown in negotiations
meant that he was not allowed to travel with a ferret rescue volunteer but
must go via bonded courier.  DFG's policy in that area is to require a
bonded courier but I was told by Spanky's human friend that DFG considered
making an exception which the humane society did not honor.  Who told who
what is something I can't know with certainty because anything I'm not told
in my good ear, first hand, is hearsay-- no offense intended to anyone.

I called Kay of FA who does rescue in that area and found out the owner did
not have the correct telephone number for a courier service so I relayed
that number to her and hopefully Spanky can fly out on Monday-- this would
be a very bad weekend to travel anyway and his hotel and the humane society
is only $3.00 per day.

In the meantime, thanks to Ronnie, Sukie and Troy Lynn (there might have
been others and to them as well) who let me know about the situation.

On another note, I received a call from the Bakersfield Californian about
the Ann Landers column.  Someone had forwarded my response to Ann's letter
and since it concerned one of their readers (Delano, CA is in their
distribution area).  My response, I'm told, will run sometime in the middle
to end of next week so I would really appreciate it if someone in that area
will send me a copy.  The reporter, Don King, asked for a head and
shoulders photo to run with it but I haven't had my picture taken formally
since high school.  I told him I had this great shot of me holding a 17lb.
steelhead from British Columbia (catch and release flyfishing is something
I love to do) but that didn't sound suitable.  He laughed.  I gave him
permission to run the jailhouse ferret from our website if he wished.  His
was the second news organization in the last few weeks to make such a
request.

Anyone know any good photographers out there? :)

We also had a terrific write up in the UC San Diego School of Law newspaper
called Motions.  It was written by Curtis and Kristin Crews.  I don't know
if they have a website but it was very positive.

Sometime soon the SF Weekly will also do a story-- things are a happenin'.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website