From:
Kim Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 15:02:51 -0700
Does anyone know where I can order ferret harnesses made by Hagen through
the mail?  I have tried a lot of harnesses (incl. MF and various velcro
types) and I like Hagen's the best.  For those of you that haven't seen
them, here are my reasons:

1.  Ferrets undo the velcro, especially outdoors, where it snags on
vegetation as they go about their ferrety business.  This also causes the
hook side to fill up with vegetable matter and become less effective.  Too
many scares for me to use velcro any more when it matters that the harness
stays on.  Scuba gear and probably other stuff uses a double-sided velcro
attachment that's pretty reliable, but I haven't seen this on ferret stuff
yet, and besides, it's stiff and bulky that way.

2.  The Hagen quick release buckles are quicker for me to get on and off,
and have a more positive feel to them when they're locked than MF.

3. Hagen harnesses have no loose ends sticking out, where MF do.

4.  Hagen harness webbing is narrower than most, which seems to rub the fur
less.

5.  Warm Fuzzy harnesses have one important feature that Hagen doesn't: the
D-ring is at the back of the harness instead of the middle.  This means that
a ferret hanging from the D-ring is suspended by the loop around the chest,
not the one around the neck.  Not that I hang my ferrets as a regular
practice, but ferrets will do what they do :-)

Also, if anyone is within driving distance of Missoula, MT and needs more
ferrets, the Humane Society currently has three extremely handsome ferrets
with great dispositions up for grabs.  The ferrets are being well cared for
there, and ferrets are rare enough in these parts that they will find homes,
but I'm hoping it will happen soon before I succomb to ferret math.  BTW,
I took them copies of Pam Greene's mini-FAQ ("mini" being 12 single-spaced
pages, after all) to give out with the ferrets, and found that someone had
already beat me to it with something even better, a thick and very
up-to-date care booklet that came from a shelter in NH (no ID but it refers
to a ferret named Bud -- that should clue in whoever's it is).

Want to know why these ferrets are at the Humane Society?

Max: "Our other ferret chased her and we were scared."
Logan and Creed: "Landlord said gotta go."

Give me a break.  Poor Max is so lonely she wraps herself all around Logan
and Creed and even tries to drag them into a corner to snuggle when I go
visit and let them play together.  It's no surprise that so many people
behave irresponsibly towards their human kids too.  Bob C's analogies are
dead on.

-- Kim, writing from a house full (already) of animals