From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 21:03:38 -0400
>Makes me wonder though, is this an unusual time in the lives of ferrets
>and their owners?  Are there more deaths than usual?  Or is it that people
>just regularly share what moves them, and it helps to share sadness from
>the death of a loved companion?  The support of ferret owners for each
>other is wonderful.

There are almost 1400 subscribers to the FML.  If the average person owns 2
or three ferrets, we are dealing with 2800 to 4200 ferrets out there whos
owners are touched every day.

I own 22 ferrets (plus 8 cats and right now over a dozen shelter ferrets),
and to have 3-6 deaths a year is not unusual for the circumstances.  My
ferrets range from 4 months to 8.5 years, with a 9 year old rescue at the
shelter right now.

I feel writing is a great therapy.  Not always do I put my works on the FML,
but I think we all appreciate everyones efforts when others add their
condolences and own stories.  There are plenty of happy stories to balance
the load - so continue to write what is in your heart.  I think ferret
people are the greatest.

Pam Grant / STAR*

ps - if we all gave a dollar for every ferret we own to the rabies research
project, we could fund the next stage with only FML contributions!