From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:10:53 -0500
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or angeled dresser drawer nappers...

>is near but still does the "I'm a Statue" pose

Well, you might be surprised at why they seem to do this.  Ever heard of a
"pointer" dog?  Part of their training, is to find the game (animal, bird,
goldfish) they are searching for, then freeze in that position, pointing
at the game.  This alerts the hunter that what they are looking for has
been found and he can get ready.  He then gives a command to the dog and
the dog rushes in and scares the game.  Goldfish normally get away, but
other types of game will subsequently get shot by the hunter.

In ferrets, I think there might be a somewhat different purpose behind
what they do.  Most of my ferrets do this to the cat (Puffy) on a daily
basis.  However, they don't do it out of fear!  In fact, I've seen several
of them surround the cat and "strike a pose" (also known as doing a
"Vogue"), all pointing at the cat.  This is a warning to the cat that he
has about three to five seconds to be somewhere else, or he's had it!

Actually, I think that the ferrets might actually be doing this "freezing"
thing as a warning to the target.  I don't believe they are frightened in
the least little bit.  I seems to me that it's more of a "gunfighter"
style challenge, than anything else, really (a trend started by Wild Fert
Hickbutt and Fert Masterfuzz).  If you watch closely, if the target
doesn't leave within a certain period of time (ferrets don't typically
wear watches, so they can't always be exact in how long they pose like
that!) the fert will take another step...or two...or several, towards
their victim.  It might not be right *at* the victim.  Rather, it can be
to a new position where the victim can see them better (and become more
frightened!), or maybe it's in the direction where they won't be seen as
easily, so they can rush in and have a serving of cat tar-tar!

In any case, watch the entire process a few times.  You'll learn lots of
things (if you pay attention!) and you'll see that your ferret is far
from scared during this process!

Todd and the (does Madona have ferrets?) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.netconex.com/toddl/page2/