From:
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 22:46:20 -0700
>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question on color/ marking
>Zen described on of Kats ferrst by stating:
>>Sounds like a sable blaze (depending upon that white line on top)

>Bill, I am confuces-- I though in patterns one was either a sabel or a
>blaze-- is there actually combination classes in judging now?????

Sable is a color.  Blaze is a pattern.  Ferrets have (normally) one color
(black, chocolate, cinnamon [see other note], champagne, sable, black
sable, albino, and dark eyed white).

Ferrets can have several patterns.  One of density (solid, standard, or
color point).  And none, one or more of white patterning (roan, mitts,
blaze, and panda).  bill personally argues that the dark eyed white is
really one of the white patterning patterns.  And champagne and albino
are really "patterns" of dilution.

But anyway... blazes can come in any of the non-white colors.  So can pandas
and mitts.

This orthogonal description is the biggest strength of the AFA system over
some of the others.

But to soothe those that want to know what LIFE says...
About blaze they say "Body can be any color or combination of colors."
from http://www.acmeferret.com/life/shows/blaze.htm

What we are talking about is colors and patterns.  "classes" in showing are
either one of the championship classes (kit, alter or breeder) or a
specialty class.  You could show a sable blaze in which ever is the
appropriate championship class or either the blaze or sable specialty
rings.  Most judges though would not give a blaze as high a scoring in the
sable lass as a non-blaze sable as the sable color is being judged and the
blaze pattern detracts from the "sableness".  The color is unimportant in
the blaze specialty rings - its the blaze pattern that is being judged only.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]