From:
Carol Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 20:20:18 -0800
For a number of years, I have vaccinated my ferrets myself - at home, with
no reactions whatsoever.  This year, however, with all of the reactions I
have read about here on the FML, I decided to have my vet do them, just to
be on the safe side.  If one of my ferrets were to have a reaction, I live
too far from help.

Today, I took 3 of my ferrets in for their yearlies - and since none had
ever had a reaction, did not pre-treat.  Within 15 minutes of having his
vac, my Slinky went into severe shock ... we weren't even out of the
examining room yet.  Slinky had been first - and when I went to put his
cagemate MrSquirm back in the carrier, found Slinky nearly unconscious.
By the time the vet got him in the back room, he had quit breathing and a
heartbeat couldn't be detected ... fortunately Slinky pulled thru.  If we
had not been at the vet office, Slinky would no longer be with us.  Slinky
is nearly 5 years old - a strong and healthy guy - vaccinated every year
with Fervac, without even a slight reaction, until today.  And judging from
the kind of reaction he had, pretreating may have helped, but I doubt if it
would have been enough to prevent this kind of reaction.  The other two had
no reaction whatsoever.

Thankfully Slinky is fine ... it's been about 9 hours since his reaction,
and he's running around here like nothing happened ... I'm a complete
wreck!

Folks - be aware - no prior reaction does not mean your ferret will never
have a reaction.  If you vaccinate your ferrets yourself, you risk not
getting the necessary help in time if one were to react - and if you have
your vet do it - *don't* leave that office for at least 30 minutes
afterward.  BTW - Slinky's reaction is the first my vet has experienced
with a ferret.

Carol Lyon